As an advanced physical mutagenesis source, high-energy heavy ion beam has the characteristics of high mutation frequency, broad mutation spectrum and relatively shorter time span for breeding. Thus, it has been applied more and more widely in germplasm innovation.
The Biophysics Group (BPG) is mainly engaged in research on key common technologies of high-energy heavy ion beam breeding and related mutagenesis mechanisms of plants and microorganisms, as well as the R&D of characteristic drugs by radiation and research on radiation protection effects of natural products. When keeping cooperation with the well-known domestic and international scientific research institutions to expand the impact of high-energy heavy ion beam mutation breeding technique, it also provides guarantee for the innovation of crop seeds and microorganism strains. Concerning bio-industrialization, the industrial application of sweet sorghum, oil sunflower and other economic crops, as well as the achievements of industrial, environmental and medicinal microbial, will promote the local economic and social developments.
The BPG has 1500 square meters of laboratory area (including plants, microorganisms, molecular biology, cell biology, pilot tests, natural drugs labs, etc.), 400 square meters of intelligent greenhouses and the 3rd generation of biological radiation platform including mid- and high- energy heavy ion beams.
Jointly cooperated with the government of Baiyin High-tech Zone, the "Kejin Innovation Institute of Heavy Ion Beam Biological Industry, Baiyin, Gansu" has been established to promote the development and application of bio-products derived from heavy ion beam.
The BPG has 23 research members, including five senior research fellows, 15 associate senior research fellows, and more than 20 postgraduates. BPG has successively undertaken the National Natural Science Foundation of China, the National Key Research and Development Program, Key Research Program of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and various horizontal cooperation projects. Many members were funded by the talent programs of the CAS, such as " Light of West China Program" and "Youth Innovation Promotion Association". Many doctoral and master graduate students from BPG won "China National Scholarship", "University Scholarship of the Chinese Academy of Sciences" and "Outstanding Graduates of the Chinese Academy of Sciences". BPG has cultivated a large number of outstanding professionals to the country in the field of radiation biology.
1. Heavy Ion Beam Mutation Breeding and Mechanism Research in Plant
2. Study on Improvement and Mechanism research of Microorganism Induced by Heavy Ion Beam
3. Research on Drugs Irradiated by Heavy Ion Beam
4. Research on Radiation Protection of Natural Products
5. Development and Application of Heavy Ion Beam Bio-industry
1. Recent published papers:
(1) X. Chen, H. Feng, Y. Du, S. W. Luo, W. J. Li, L. X. Yu, Z. Feng, T. Cui and L. B. Zhou, International Journal of Radiation Biology 96 (2), 267-275 (2020).
(2) X. P. Guo, M. M. Zhang, Y. Gao, G. Z. Cao, D. Lu and W. J. Li, Appl Microbiol Biot 104 (3), 1211-1226 (2020).
(3) M. Y. Dong, Q. Q. Li, F. Q. Xu, S. Y. Wang, J. H. Chen and W. J. Li, Sci Rep-Uk 10 (1) (2020).
(4) J. Wang, J. F. Wang, W. J. Li, G. H. Luo, S. Q. Yang, Y. Du, W. Wei, W. J. Jin, S. W. Luo and X. Li, Acta Astronaut 159, 27-32 (2019).
(5) F. Q. Xu, J. K. Wang, M. Y. Dong, S. Y. Wang, G. Q. Xiao, Q. Q. Li, J. H. Chen, W. J. Li, W. Hu and J. Liu, Carbohyd Polym 222 (2019).
(6) L. Liu, W. J. Li, W. Hu, X. H. Pan, X. J. Tian, Y. Q. Mao and J. H. Chen, Ind Crop Prod 137, 536-540 (2019).
(7) Y. Gao, M. M. Zhang, X. P. Guo, W. J. Li and D. Lu, J Chem Technol Biot (2019).
(8) F. Liu, Z. Z. Wang, W. J. Li, L. B. Zhou, Y. Du, M. M. Zhang and Y. T. Wei, Int J Biol Macromol 131, 282-292 (2019).
(9) W. Hu, W. J. Li, H. Q. Yang and J. H. Chen, Appl Microbiol Biot 103 (1), 201-209 (2019).
(10) X. J. Tian, A. L. Jiang, Y. Q. Mao, B. Wu, M. X. He, W. Hu, J. H. Chen and W. J. Li, J Chem Technol Biot 94 (6), 1752-1759 (2019).
(11) T. Cui, S. Luo, Y. Du, L. Yu, J. Yang, W. Li, X. Chen, X. Li, J. Wang and L. Zhou, Grassland Science 65, 41-48 (2019).
(12) T. T. Jiang, Y. Liang, X. Zhou, Z. W. Shi and Z. J. Xin, Peerj 6 (2019).
(13) X. Li, J. Wang, Z. L. Tan, L. Ma, D. Lu, W. J. Li and J. F. Wang, J Hazard Mater 353, 1-8 (2018).
(14) Y. Du, S. W. Luo, L. X. Yu, T. Cui, X. Chen, J. Y. Yang, X. Li, W. J. Li, J. F. Wang and L. B. Zhou, Mutat Res-Fund Mol M 807, 21-30 (2018).
(15) F. Liu, Z. Z. Wang, J. Liu and W. J. Li, Int J Biol Macromol 115, 572-579 (2018).
(16) L. Wang, X. H. Li, H. Tao, X. Zhou, X. H. Lu, W. Y. Du, T. T. Jiang, Z. J. Xin and J. P. Liang, Org Biomol Chem 15 (11), 2403-2410 (2017).
(17) Y. Du, S. W. Luo, X. Li, J. Y. Yang, T. Cui, W. J. Li, L. X. Yu, H. Feng, Y. Z. Chen, J. H. Mu, X. Chen, Q. Y. Shu, T. Guo, W. L. Luo and L. B. Zhou, Front Plant Sci 8 (2017).
(18) L. X. Yu, W. J. Li, Y. Du, G. Chen, S. W. Luo, R. Y. Liu, H. Feng and L. B. Zhou, Nucl Sci Tech 27 (5) (2016).
(19) R. Y. Liu, X. C. Dong, W. T. Gu, L. X. Yu, W. J. Jin, Y. Qu, F. Zhang and W. J. Li, Sci Hortic-Amsterdam 213, 303-313 (2016).
(20) S. W. Luo, L. B. Zhou, W. J. Li, Y. Du, L. X. Yu, H. Feng, J. H. Mu and Y. Z. Chen, Nucl Instrum Meth B 383, 123-128 (2016).
2. Recent authorized patents:
(1) A method to improve the cellulase production activity of Trichoderma viride; China, patent No., ZL201711181390.7；
(2) Cultivation method of sweet sorghum based on marginal soil, patent No., ZL201510197299.9；
(3) Sweet sorghum health wine and its preparation method, patent No., ZL201510573522.5；
(4) Breeding method of Isatis indigotica by carbon ion beam radiation，patent No., ZL201410110703.X.
3. New Plant Cultivars：
(1) Oil sunflower, "JIN KUI No.1", 2019
(2) Artemisia annua, "KE HAO No. 1", 2018
(3) Isatis indigotica "ZHONG QING No. 1", 2016
(4) Sweet sorghum, "JINTIAN No.1", 2013
(5) Tradescatia fluminensis, "DONG HUA XIA CAO", 2012
(6) Angelica sinensis, "Min Gui No. 3", 2009
(7) Wheat, "LONG FU No.2", 2003
(1) Breeding method of Isatis indigotica by carbon ion beam radiation，the Second Prize of Gansu Provincial Patent Award, 2018;
(2) Development of sweet sorghum industry by heavy ion mutation technology, China Industry-University-Research Cooperation Innovation Award, 2015;
(3) Breeding and popularization of new Astragalus cultivar “LONG QI No.2” with excellent features, the Third Prize of Gansu Provincial Science and Technology Awards, 2014;
(4) Preparation of a new compound "quinolones" by heavy ion beam irradiation, The Third Prize of Gansu Provincial Technology Invention Award, 2010;
(5) Breeding and research of Gansu Angelica sinensis new line 90-02, the Third Prize of Gansu Provincial Science and Technology Awards, 2008.
(6) Mutation breeding of wheat irradiated by heavy ion beam, the Third Prize of Gansu Provincial Science and Technology Awards, 2003.
Prof. ZHOU Libin
Mailing Address: 509 Nanchang Road, Lanzhou, 730000, China