The Atomic Physics Research Center (AP center) at the Institute of Modern Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, consists of three research groups: the Atomic Structure and Collision Dynamics Group, atomic and Molecular Spectroscopy Group, and High-energy Density Physics Group. The center has more than 25 staff members and 20 graduate students (Master and PhD).
Based on the Heavy Ion Research Facility in Lanzhou (HIRFL), AP center is committed to experimental research of atomic physics under extreme conditions, and development of state-of-the-art experimental technologies. Research topics include:
1. Few-body quantum problems in ultrafast collisions between ion /electron /XUV photon and atom/molecule/cluster
2. Test of QED in strong Coulomb field through precision spectroscopy of highly charged ions at storage ring
3. Generation and diagnostics of high-energy density matter driven by heavy ion beam
4. Collinear laser spectroscopy and high-precision storage ring laser spectroscopy of radioactive ions
5. Benchmark atomic data in astrophysics
In collaboration with worldwide well-known research institutions, AP center is becoming one of the leading international research organizations, promoting science and technology of atomic physics on High Intensity heavy ion Accelerator Facility(HIAF) and relevant large-scale facilities.
1. Precision spectroscopy of highly charged ions
2. Ultrafast collision dynamics
3. High energy density physics
4. Laser spectroscopy and its applications
Prof. MA Xinwen
Mailing Address: 509 Nanchang Road, Lanzhou, 730000, China