Accelerator Technology Center (ATC) was established in 2019 and consists of 9 groups, including Accelerator Physics Group, Ion Source Group, RF Technology Group, Power Supply Group, Magnet Technology Group, Beam Diagnostics Group, Vacuum Group, Beam Feedback & Machine Protection Group and Control & Network Group. The center aims to form a systematic platform for the design, construction, commission and operation of accelerator facilities and provide platforms for the development of new accelerator principles, technologies and methods.
ATC focuses on the frontier study of accelerator physics and beam dynamics, research and development of core and key technologies of the accelerator, the development and verification of new principles and new technologies, the design, construction, operation and maintenance of national major infrastructure and application accelerators, and the related technical support of experimental terminals.
For these critical purposes, intelligent high-level control technologies, advanced ion source technologies, room temperature and superconducting accelerator magnet technologies, power supply systems with high precision and high-power pulses, large-scale extreme-high accelerator vacuum system, high gradient RF system with wide frequency bandwidth and fast response magnetic alloy, high performance feedback system, and so on, are under intense development within the center.
Advanced platforms have been developed for new technology and principle tests, such as the accelerator physics control test platform, LEAF, magnet test platform, extreme-high vacuum system development platform, large-size magnetic alloy loaded cavity research platform, beam diagnostics test platform, timing system test platform, etc. These platforms have provided strong support for the development and validation of new accelerator theories and technologies.
Consisting of 209 experienced researchers and 57 graduate students, ATC team members have already built Heavy Ion Research Facility in Lanzhou (HIRFL), Cooler Storage Ring (HIRFL-CSR), Heavy Ion Medical Machine (HIMM), SSC-Linac, etc. The team has made great achievements in heavy ion accelerator design and construction.
Over the years, ATC has made close collaborations with many international renowned laboratories, such as European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung (GSI), Jefferson Lab (JLab), JINR, RIKEN and so on. In the future, the center will collaborate more closely with worldwide laboratories and organizations on the research and development of advanced accelerator technology and science.
1. Research the forefront of accelerator theories. Validate new theories. Develop new techniques. Design new facilities and perform their commissioning. Operation and improvement/upgrading existing facilities.
2. Research and develop advanced ion source and low energy ion beam facilities, especially their theories, physics and applications.
3. Research and develop room temperature and superconducting magnets for the research and application of accelerator facilities. Design, manufacture and measurement of high precision magnets.
3D Magnetic Field Measurement Platform and Superconducting Magnet Vertical Test System
4. Research and develop new special power supplies used in accelerator facilities with new power electronics technology. Develop new theories and employ new control technology to meet the requirements of new accelerator facilities.
Power Supply Modules and SZF-3 Digital Controller
5. Research and develop state-of-the-art large-scale and extreme-high vacuum accelerator vacuum technology and provide strong support for high energy high intensity heavy ion accelerators and other application facilities.
Ceramics Supported Vacuum Chamber and Out-gassing Rate Measurement Platform
6. Research and develop next generation radio frequency systems for room temperature RF linacs, cyclotron and synchrotrons. Design, build, maintain and upgrade all kinds of radio frequency systems.
Large-size Magnetic Alloy Ring Test Platform and Magnetic Alloy Loaded Cavity
7. Research and develop beam diagnostics instruments for accelerators and other experiments. Design, manufacture and test high quality beam diagnostic instruments based on new principles.
Beam Test Platform and Pulse Beam Simulation Test Platform
8. Research and develop stochastic cooling systems, feedback systems, machine protection systems and beam diagnostics instruments.
CSRe Stochastic Cooling Experiment and CSRm High Sensitivity Schottky Probe
9. Research and develop control and information technology for accelerators and other experiments, mainly covering control system design, system integration, control hardware development, network and database development, operation and maintenance, etc.
White Rabbit Test Platform and Fully Automatic SMT Stencil Printer
Prof. YANG Jiancheng
Mailing Address: 509 Nanchang Road, Lanzhou, 730000, China